Top Heavy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by George Allar George Allar 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Carter
    Gerald Carter
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting an RSV but what I keep questioning is everyone says they are top heavy. Are they really top heavy, is it an issue in riding, do they have a tendency to go down at slow speeds in parking lots for example? What are the issues with being top heavy?

Steven Kowalcky
    Steven Kowalcky

The Venture can be a handful at slow speeds like parking lot maneuvers. One thing I did for my Venture was to install leveling links on the rear suspension. They raise the rear of the bike by 3/4″ to 1.0″ and that slight change improves the slow speed handling a lot. The ultimate solution to the heavy handling on the venture is to do what I did a few years ago.

I sold it and bought a Goldwing, heavier bike that is way more nimble at all speeds and has enough power and torque in any gear to get you out of trouble with a little bit of throttle.

Overall I really had very little trouble with the Venture, you just need to practice and remember to use trail braking on the rear brake and the friction zone on the clutch.

George Allar
    George Allar

Steve’s right. The leveling links help, and I also dropped the front tire size to a 130 which helps handling at all speeds. But practice is what you need, and at low speeds sober forget to turn your head (all the way, as far as you can) to look in the direction you want to go. Keep the power on, slip the clutch, and drag the rear brake slightly. This works on all bikes. Enjoy the ride.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.